Sunday, April 26, 2009

Assignment 14: Quotent Quotables

Phew... got this in under the wire.

This week, I have accidentally on purpose overheard:

"He's a sexless elf". Lunch table conversation about Zac Efron.

"Well what does Henry Winkler think about it?". Phone conversation I overheard.

And the final quote I want to share may in fact break the rules of the assignment a bit, but I think it is fascinating that it happened in the same week I was supposed to be collecting quotes. I had a stand up show this past Friday. In one of my bits I talk about throwing up inside my own pants at a dinner party (that's true). A man came up to me after the show and said, "You know I think I may have something for you to use in the future". People are very generous in giving me hilarious jokes of theirs to use. I inwardly rolled my eyes and waited for a pitch, but this guy told me the following. "When you talk about throwing up inside your pants, this guy right next to me turned to his friend and said, 'Hey, that's like you!' and then his friend turned to him and said, 'Dude, that only happened once'. Funny, right?" I have to admit, I was totally charmed that this dude had come up and told me what he had eavesdropped during my set. And yes, it was in fact funny that a guy in the audience had also thrown up inside his own pants and thought that since it only happened once he was not defined by it. No friend- even though it was once, you are totally that dude that has thrown up inside his own pants.

So thank you, random guy at my show, for eavesdropping for me. Won't be doing stand up about it, but I used it in a blog at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment